< - BACK
9/23/2020 - UNEMPLOYMENT STATS SHOW CONTINUED DROP IN OUR REGION
August unemployment numbers have been posted by the New York State Labor Dept., showing the state at 12.6% for August.
The North Country Chamber of Commerce points out that our area numbers are significantly better in comparison:
- CLINTON COUNTY: 8.0%, down from a high of 15.2% in April.
- FRANKLIN COUNTY: 8.8%, down from a high of 14.3% in April.
- ESSEX COUNTY: 7.7%, down from a high of 17.1% in April.
- HAMILTON COUNTY: 5.5%, down from a high of 14.2% in April.
- WARREN COUNTY: 8.5%, down from a high of 17.3% in April.
"These numbers are still high," notes Chamber President Garry Douglas, "but the trend is good. There are certainly many factors but the strength of our manufacturing base is definitely a key component, with most area manufacturers having never closed and many in hiring mode. Another definite factor, especially in the face of continued border crossing restrictions, is the strength of commitment by area residents to buy and spend local. This needs to continue, for our restaurants, retailers, farm stores and other small businesses."